All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never prior to have so many brand-new strategies and scientific advancements emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless individuals the opportunity to reduce or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and quick method to correct vision, however stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to help guarantee that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be fooled by expensive ads about a particular laser. Select the physician, not the laser.
3. Select a medical professional who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a doctor doesn't know can hurt you.
Ask for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your medical professional won't inform you, find another one.
Ask what steps are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is dig this as great as a discount parachute. The potential savings are not worth the danger of receiving less than skilled care!
7. Expect to see very well after LASIK, however don't expect to see perfectly. Each client gets a slightly different result. The finest surgeon worldwide can't ensure 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely offer better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting up until the new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the advantages: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the eyesight of millions of individuals worldwide.